History

Donna Green and Mike Sanderson, long-time Island residents whose family arrived at Snake Island in the summer of 1949, have owned and operated the Island Grove Marina and ferry service for the last 10 years.

There have been many ferry operators over the course of the years, most notably Charlie Johnson and Horace Payne, who originally operated the ferry from the government dock.

Jim and Sherman Day also ran a marina for some years out of current Island Grove location. After Jim Day passed away, there were three or four operators of the store, ferry and parking prior to Mike and Donna’s purchase.

The original dock at Island Grove was built by the Chippewas of Georgina Island for the cottagers of Snake and Fox Island to use. East Point Marina, which is now operated by the McCue family, did not build the original dock but began regular ferry service to the island.